|LITHIUM ION BATTERY HAZARDS|
|By Ex-Chief James Stasiak|
|July 18, 2023|
07/18/23. 2:09pm. MVFD was dispatched with Carmel Police Department, NY to a possible residential structure fire. The call originated from the homeowner who returned after a six day vacation to find their single car garage blacked with soot and the remains of charred items. A investigation pointed to the possibile source to be a Lithium Ion Battery tool being stored in the garage. The item ignited and with the garage being tightly sealed off from the interior of the residence and the exterior of the home, the fire burnt itself out.
MVFD would like to remind people to be mindful when using and storing item powered by Lithium Ion Batteries. Also be careful when purchasing after market replacement batteries. Make sure the items purchased are UL (Underwriters Laboratories) rated and approved.